Wednesday, September 8, 2010

FIrst Lab for Foods I

Today we had our first lab in foods and nutrition I.  They have been studying proper sanitation procedures, so to practice what they have learned they made tacos.  You might think this is a waste of time, but there are several important things students put into practice. They are handling raw meat with fresh produce, so it is important that they do not cross contaminate the foods.  E Coli can be found in ground beef, so they have to make sure it is cooked thoroughly, 165 degress.  Just getting ready for a lab is a big deal.They have to restrain long hair, put on aprons, wash hands with soap for 20 seconds, and wash off counters.  I gave them very little instruction as I wanted to see how well they could read a recipe and follow instructions.  I never stops amazing me how much I take for granted......terms like "brown the ground beef"; "drain the fat off"; etc.  Over all I think things went well.  They did, however; find out how fast the class goes by on lab day.

No comments: